Argos: Pre-owned failed to meet expectations

Mass market retailer Argos has told MCV why it has withdrawn from the second-hand games market.

In a statement sent to us this morning, the company said: "Since Argos’ video games trade-in service launched on a trial basis last year, it has not met business expectations and consequently, Argos has withdrawn the service."

MCVuk.com broke the story of the generalist’s retreat from used games last Friday.

Before its withdrawal, the retailer offered store credit to customers that traded in selected titles, either online or in any of Argos’ 750+ stores.

Back in October, MCV and retail experts discussed how supermarkets and other mass market retailers have failed to make an impact in pre-owned since the likes of Tesco, Asda and Argos launched trade-in offers last year.

About MCV Staff

Check Also

gggfgfg [Industry News] 80% of Western game developers plan to launch title in China

[Industry News] 80% of Western game developers plan to launch title in China

New independent research commissioned by Rokky, the PC game distribution platform delivering publisher-approved keys to global markets, reveals that 80% of Western game developers are targeting a China release by 2028. However, regulatory concerns and limited knowledge of local publishing methods remain major roadblocks, according to the independent study conducted among 300 senior game developers across the US and the UK.