Developer valued at more than $5 billion by majority shareholder SoftBank

Supercell owner reportedly considering sale of Clash Royale studio

The majority stake holder in Clash of Clans and Clash Royale creator Supercell is said to be weighing up the possibility of selling the mobile powerhouse.

Japanese telecoms firm SoftBank took control of the Finnish developer in 2013 to the tune of $1.5 billion.

It later increased its share to 73 per cent with an addition $1.2 billion investment, with the remaining 27 per cent divided between management and employees of Supercell.

Bloomberg reports that SoftBank “has held talks with potential strategic buyers based in China” to sell its stake, although the talks were said to be in an early stage, with no sale guaranteed.

An anonymous source added that the company has valued Supercell at over $5 billion – a slight drop from the $5.5 billion it was predicted to be worth last year.

Supercell has struggled to replicate Clash of Clans’ massive Western and Chinese success in Japan, with head of Japan operations Buddy Marini describing the region as “the toughest market in the world”.

About MCV Staff

Check Also

Liverpool’s Mayor Steve Rotheram has announced a pledge to develop a new generation of creators in the city

Liverpool's Mayor Steve Rotheram has announced that he intends to develop a new generation of video game creators in the region